Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Thinking in Objects

Finally got around to starting the new Object Oriented Programming subject today. I have now selected a text that I hope will work out well. The Object Oriented Programming subject is going to use C# as the implementation language, though it will focus on Object Oriented Programming and design rather than on the language and related libraries...

The book I am going with (and yes it is too late to change now) is "Object Design: Roles, Responsibilities, and Collaborations". I have skimmed over most of it and now read chapter one in detail. It looks really good. The initial focus is on understanding design concepts. I think this is a good start. For the first lecture I have created a "Everything C#" followed by "Building programs with objects" presentations. The first is a bit shock and awe, covering most of the C# syntax, but that needs to be done somewhere and I want to get it out of the way so we can start on the real material. The second presentation looks at what objects are and how we build programs using them. I am happy with how it has turned out so far. Another Beyond Bullet Points success, I hope.

Week one is mostly out of the way. I have found an online tutorial for learning C# so that will be the lab work. The structure for the presentations is out of the way, and I have the text to fill in the design gaps that I am leaving. Its great being able to focus purely on objects knowing that these guys will have some idea about what programs are and their internal workings.

More to come as this unrolls...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just had a quick read of the first chapter (available on Safari for Swinburne people) and it looks quite good.

The analogy of the machine is very appropriate for their interpretation of objects, as is the list of stereotypes. The foreword by Ivar Jacobson is good also.

From what I've read, it look like a very good choice for the subject. I saw a possible substitute late last year and I'm glad it hasn't been used (I think this is the same subject...)

I would be interested in seeing your presentations also, if you decide to publish them freely (completely understand if you don't.)

Cheers,

Zooba

Anonymous said...

Sounds good, Andrew.
Can't wait to get stuck into OOP next semester :D

Unknown said...

Sounds interesting...
What sort of level is this aimed at? I was going to do Advanced .NET next semester but i'm already quite familiar with C#. Though learning icky VB (yuck!) wouldn't be bad.