Friday, February 03, 2006

The problem with ...

The problem with languages like Java and C# is that you need to understand many things in order to create any kind of solution. Using these languages implies an object oriented solution, which in turn implies an understanding of objects. Objects are created by combining data and functionality, so objects implies an understanding of these concepts. Dont get me wrong I use these languages, and I am quite capable of creating elegant oo solutions. I just think that before you start using objects it would be good to have a strong understanding of data and functionality (i.e. sequence, selection, repetition, and functions and procedures). This is way Algorithmic Problem Solving, a new subject I am working on, will be focusing on these concepts and not introducing objects until near the very end.

Objects are important. Objects are good. But there is no need for objects first.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pascal is the answer, the language was designed for this purpose.

Teaching structured programming with an OO language ends up with bad OO.

I wish my blog was back :(

Andrew B Coathup

Anonymous said...

from the trouble some people have had with structured programming (let alone OO) in APS, seems it was a wise move...